This is a common question among dog owners, so if you're wondering "Can dogs eat grapes?", the answer is a resounding NO, even if they are peeled or seedless.

There are several studies that confirm renal failures associated with ingestion of grapes or raisins in dogs. So grapes are bad for dogs, this is neither a myth nor an assumption.

Why can't dogs eat grapes?

The scientific answer to that is the increased blood urea nitrogen concentration and serum creatinine concentration. In other words, eating grapes can cause severe kidney damage to your dog. However, this problem does not manifest with the same intensity in all dogs.

What are the Symptoms?

There are several signs shown by dogs after eating grapes:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Thirst
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy 

However, the toxic agent behind this has not yet been discovered neither the reason why a small percentage of dogs that ate grapes doesn't show any of these symptoms.

What can I do after my dog eat grapes?

If your dog ate a grape, the immediate action you must have is to induce vomiting to your dog. This can be done in the first two hours after ingesting grapes and only if your dog is breathing normally and not in shock. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: If your dog is already showing symptoms or already vomited you must call your veterinarian as soon as possible and DO NOT induce vomiting.

The only safe thing you can use at home to induce vomiting to your dog is to give him two teaspoons per 25-pound dog of a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and be sure that it's not expired. Never use other alternative ways like salt or mustard, the only safe thing is hydrogen peroxide.

To give the hydrogen peroxide, the easiest way is by using a syringe. Just put it in the corner of their mouth and slowly syringe it.

My dog ate one grape will he be ok?

Some dogs are affected after eating only one grape, while others can eat several grapes and not be affected. So if you're wondering "will one grape hurt my dog?", the answer is yes, even just one grape could hurt your dog. 


First of all, make sure that all family members are aware of this problem. Everyone must know that grapes are bad for dogs. And obviously, don't leave grapes accessible to your dog.